Criminal Law

Criminal Law

More Serious Offences

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras augue ex, finibus eget interdum sollicitudin, maximus in lorem.

Less Serious Offences
Very Serious Offences

More Serious Criminal Offences

Magistrates Court or Crown Court offences

(either way offences)

These include:

  • Assault ABH
  • Assault GBH (s20)
  • Possession of a bladed article (a knife) or an offensive weapon
  • Revenge porn
  • Burglary
  • Theft
  • Fraud
  • Forgery
  • Possession of indecent images
  • Some sexual offences such as sexual assault
  • More serious matters under the Malicious Communications Act
  • Harassment involving threats of violence
  • Stalking
  • Possession and/or supply of drugs
  • Unlawful eviction of a tenant

There are some offences which could be minor or very serious. So, if charged with theft you could steal a £2 pizza, or you could steal £10,000 from a vulnerable person who trusts you. This is why lots of criminal offences are ‘either way’. When you appear to answer to an either way offence, the Magistrates Court have an option to send your case to the higher court (the Crown Court), and you have an option to choose that Court for your trial. If you plead guilty, the Court might commit you to the Crown Court to be sentenced.

Many offences fall under the ‘either way’ umbrella and it is absolutely vital you obtain advice before you attend your first hearing, as you will not be given time to go away and think about it for a couple of weeks once you are there.

Our very experienced team can guide you through this sometimes very complicated and complex process, and give you the benefit of their experience.

Our team can also help you with determining whether you will be eligible for funding, and whether that would be available on a contribution basis.

Call us now to discuss. You really should not be considering attending Court to answer to an either way offence without advice.

Contact us now to discuss

Contacting us by email is quickest and easiest, or please ring the office closest to you (or that you know is dealing with your case).